Wednesday 1 June 2011

Yoga - The Stress Buster

An hour of not talking, barely moving and still focused. Possible? Yes! My first every Yoga class was tonight, designed to teach stress-relief techniques through physical movement, breathwork, and meditation.

Life has so many distractions, interruptions and stress. We are "monkeys swinging from tree to tree" as Maureen would describe it - "let's get rid of the money brain". Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

How I felt...
It was so good to take that hour for ME. It reminded me of the time I was in counseling a few years ago, when I had that hour a week to focus on myself and nobody would change the subject, she would just let me speak and she would listen. This class tonight had me focused on breathing, on different bones in my body and ending with a deep relaxation remembering a happy time in life. It's good stuff, cleansing.

Not only will this help me focus on myself for the next few weeks, but it's also a great balance for my CrossFit classes. We've already done quite a few great stretches in our first class and I can see how this ties in nicely, to help loosen tight muscles and increase back flexibility.    

Let me know if you've ever tried Yoga and what you like best about it. I'd love to hear your comments.

4 comments:

  1. I love yoga to balance cf, especially cause Melissa (who is my yoga teacher and fellow hardcore crossfit friend) knows exactly what muscles we need to focus on that week. I love when she does a bunch of hip stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for doing this Sam!! So many people have recommended yoga to me in the years past, and i'm sure it is something I should try out.... but I am first starting off with the gym again.. membership starts on Monday... 3 months... this will be the 1st time ever i will have a membership over summer months, I hope I can pull it off, find some level of commitment I can stick with, and make a positive difference in my life. Let's cheer on and encourage each other!!

    From TB - this is the 1st time i've posted on a blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a Power Yoga class this winter, and it was awesome. I felt so relaxed and peaceful, and I felt like it was helping build strength, too. I'm really enjoying following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for following my journey, it's tough and it'll never get easier, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete