Thursday 21 July 2011

Top 5 Reasons to Stay Motivated This Summer

Have you ever noticed the peak time at any gym seems to be just after New Year's Eve? My best guess is that this is due to the resolutions we set for ourselves to "get in shape". The fad seems to wear off by April.

Now, either you are one of those people that do get in shape quickly and then quit (binge exercising) or you lose your motivation. I'm a little bit of both and I'd like to quit doing that, so I asked a CrossFit blog recently "What keeps you motivated in the summer?". I hope some of these tips help you this summer, feel free to add your own tips in the comments section.

1. The Beach - Summertime requires us to show a little more skin than normal, which is motivation enough. You want to look your best in that summer swim wear and possibly attract a mate. ;)

2. Financial Commitment - Some CrossFit gyms cost upwards of $175/month. The Yellowknife Martial Centre is $140/month, not wanting to waste that money can be motivation enough. Plus, you just know once you're in the door the people and atmosphere take care of the rest.

3. Satisfaction - I also always try to remember how much more accomplished I feel once I've worked out compared to how I feel like I neglected myself in some way by skipping a workout. It's easy to talk yourself out of going to a workout, but on the other hand, listen to your body and get enough rest.

4. Set Goals - Have an impending goal of some kind. Sign up for a 5k or join a winter sport (check out Broomball) and use that as motivation for training. Personally, in addition to broomball, I've signed up for an image consultation in October where I plan on being at an ideal size to shop for the right clothes for my body type. 

5. Tell Your Friends - One of the best motivations for me has been to keep track of my workouts through this blog. Some of my friends have kept me on my toes when they say "I miss your blog". That is reason enough for me to get back in the gym. Other friends are just impressed that I can do what we do in such a small amount of time, yeah that's right! Booyah!

There you have it, a few great reasons to check out your local CrossFit centre and see what it's all about. We'll always have excuses, but let's try to stay focused. If we all practice Jessica's "Daily Affirmation" can you imagine the effect it would have on our lives?

WOD - July 21, 2011
Warm up - 20 push ups; 30 sit ups; 20 curves X 2

10 Deadlifts (75 lbs) x 3
20 Pull ups (with band) x 3
30 Burpees x 3
Time: 20:02


No comments:

Post a Comment